Tuesday 1 October 2013

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin

Publisher: Random House
Publish Date: 1967
Pages: 245
Format: Hardcover (2003 Stephen King Edition)
ISBN: 978-0965723176

Rosemary Woodhouse and her struggling actor husband Guy move into the Bramford, an old New York City apartment building with an ominous reputation and mostly elderly residents.  Neighbours Roman and Minnie Castavet soon come nosing around to welcome the Woodhouses to the building, and despite Rosemary’s reservations about their eccentricity and the weird noises that she keeps hearing, her husband takes a special shine to them.  Shortly after Guy lands a plum Broadway role, Rosemary becomes pregnant, and the Castavets start taking a special interest in her welfare.  As the sickened Rosemary becomes increasingly isolated, she begins to suspect that the Castavet’s circle is not what it seems. 

My Thoughts
First things first, this was my first classic horror novel and I wasn't going to review it but I can't get it out of my head!  There are so many things about this book that are still lingering with me and it's been a week since I finished it.  So much that I had to go out and pick up the sequel, Son of Rosemary.

The story line does develop somewhat slowly, but Levins'  masterful writing style develops characters that keep your attention and you want to keep reading.  Instead of building a huge amount of suspense it slowly unfolds into a deliciously creepy and a great fast read.  Although I never found the novel to be scary it has a very dark plot.  No spoilers...read it for yourself.  If you don't want to read it, watch the movie.

My Rating: ««««


The reviews made here are my personal opinion. I’m not being paid to review any of these books. I am by no means a professional book reviewer or editor.  I do this for the love of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment