Tuesday 3 December 2013

A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson

Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Publish Date: January 25, 2012
Format: Audio
Discs: 10
ISBN: 978 1611139921


A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty is a powerful saga of three generations of women, plagued by hardship and torn by a devastating secret, yet inextricably joined by the bonds of family.  Fifteen-year-old Mosey Slocumb – spirited, sassy and on the cusp of womanhood – is shaken when a small grave is unearthed in the backyard, and determined to figure out why it’s there.  Liza, her stroke-ravaged mother, is haunted by choices she made as a teenager.  But it is Jenny, Mosey’s strong and big-hearted grandmother, whose maternal love braids together the strands of the women’s shared past – and who will stop at nothing to defend their future.

My Thoughts

I really really enjoyed this novel.  It was my first from Joshilyn Jackson and I can't wait to read more of what she has to offer.  It was just such a beautiful all round story with such likable characters.  It was heartfelt and humorous and not at all as predictable as I assumed it would be.  Yes, some was easy to foresee, but for the most part I was very anxious to find out were the plot was going.  Jackson did a wonderful job of telling the story, past and present through all 3 characters.  I like when you get all the characters perspective, not just 1.

All in all, it was a fantastic read (or in my case listen) and recommend it.    

My Rating: ««««


The reviews made here are my personal opinion. I’m not being paid to review any of these books. I am by no means a professional book reviewer or editor.  I do this for the love of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment