Sunday 15 December 2013

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Publisher: Penguin Books
Publish Date: January 1, 2012
Format: Paperback
Pages: 369
ISBN: 978-0143124542


Louisa Clark is an ordinary girl living an exceedingly ordinary life – steady boyfriend, close family – who has never been further afield than their tiny village.  She takes a badly needed job working for ex-Master of the Universe Will Traynor, who is wheelchair-bound after an accident.  Will has always lived a huge life – big deals, extreme sports, worldwide travel – and now he’s pretty sure he cannot live the way he is.

Will is acerbic, moody, bossy – but Lou refuses to treat him with kid gloves, and soon his happiness means more to her that she expected.  When she learns that Will has shocking plans of his own, she sets out to show him that life is still worth living.

My Thoughts

First off, I would like to agree with all the other reviews out there - this is not a love story nor is it romantic, but it is a story filled with love, a story of heart break and how far you will go for someone else's happiness.  

Louisa Clark is ordinary in every sense.  She lives an ordinary life, has no ambition to greater herself and is satisfied with just existing.  It isn't until she meets Will Traynor that I actually started to enjoy her character.  Yes, there are times I felt for her - she had a very unsupportive family and because of that I did not enjoy any of her families characters, they just fell flat to me.  As always, I don't want to give away any plot information - I feel that everyone should read it for themselves.

Very thought provoking, wonderfully written, and filled with so much emotion it left my head spinning.  A must read book for every one out there.  So why not 5 stars?  As much as I liked the book it wasn't one that I fell in love with, needing to re-read it the moment I finished.  This was my first novel by Jojo Moyes and am looking forward to reading more of her work.

My Rating: ««««




The reviews made here are my personal opinion. I’m not being paid to review any of these books. I am by no means a professional book reviewer or editor.  I do this for the love of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment