Saturday 31 May 2014

Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas

Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publish Date: April 14, 2009
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 305
ISBN: 978 0312385187

Hennie Comfort is eighty-six and has lived in the mountains of Middle Swan, Colorado since before it was Colorado.  Nit Spindle is just seventeen and newly married.  She and her husband have just moved to the high country in search of work.  It’s 1936 and the depression has ravaged the country and Nit and her husband have suffered greatly.  Hennie notices the young woman loitering near the old sign outside her house that promises “Prayers For Sale.”  Hennie doesn't sell prayers, never has, but there’s something about the young woman that she’s drawn to.  The harsh conditions of life that each have endured create an instant bond and an unlikely friendship is formed, one in which the deepest of hardships are shared and the darkest of secrets are confessed.

My Thoughts

I unexpectedly really enjoyed this book.  It wasn't one I would normally pick for myself and am happy I ended up liking it so much.  This book is filled with many great life lessons and stories told by Hennie that she wants passed on long after she is gone.  There are many factors that made this a great story: friendship, faith and forgiveness.  

I really enjoyed the theme of the story - Hennie taking young Nit under her wing and trying to teach her the ways of mining living in the mountains of Colorado and the hardships that come along with it.  There were a few unexpected twists the made my want to keep reading...and what an amazing ending!  Although I knew what the outcome would most likely be (and was right) the secret I didn't see coming.  

Just an overall heartwarming read from an author that is new to me. Now I'll be sure to check out her other novels.

My Rating: ««««


Buy it Now!

The reviews made here are my personal opinion. I’m not being paid to review any of these books. I am by no means a professional book reviewer or editor.  I do this for the love of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment