Tuesday 19 August 2014

Cross Roads by Wm. Paul Young

Publisher: FaithWorks
Publish Date: November 13, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages 287
ISBN: 978 1455516049


Anthony Spencer is egotistical, proud of being a self-made business success at the peak of his game, even though the cost of winning was painfully high.  A cerebral hemorrhage leaves Tony comatose in a hospital ICU.  He ‘awakens’ to find himself in a surreal world, a ‘living’ landscape that mirrors dimensions of his earthly life, from the beautiful to the corrupt.  It is here that he has vivid interactions with others he assumes are projections of his own subconscious, but whose directions he follows nonetheless with the possibility that they might lead to the authenticity and perhaps, redemption.  The adventure draws Tony into deep relational entanglements where he is able to ‘see’ through the literal eyes and experiences of others, but is “blind” to the consequences of hiding his personal agenda and loss that emerges to war against the processes of healing and trust. Will this unexpected coalescing of events cause Tony to examine his life and realize he built a house of cards on the poisoned grounds of a broken heart?  Will he also have the courage to make a critical choice that can undo a major injustice he set in motion before falling into a coma?

My Thoughts

When I first read The Shack I had very mixed feelings about it.  I used to think it was just okay but now I have great respect for the novel and the author.  It brought a new meaning to my life and it was a breakthrough for millions of others.  When I found out Young had a second book that branched away from The Shack I was very excited to read it.  I don't know what I was expecting when I started this book but I was hopeful that it would be a new and fresh idea.  This one is very similar to his first book in that the Holy Trinity is the starting role.  As I progressed with this read I found it to get a bit tiresome and it seemed to be the same theme.  I found the only difference to be in The Shack you rooted for Mack from the beginning and in Cross Roads Tony was the villain who might of gotten what he deserved.

While both novels were about self discovery and self acceptance, it took much longer to root for Tony.  I also felt like I had to take a more imaginative approach to Tony's story.  What I have come to expect from Young is a compelling and thought provoking story.  I feel like this fell a bit flat to me.  It was full of "filler" and I felt like the story could have been 100 pages less.  Sometimes I was just confused at what the point the author was trying to get across.

It wasn't a horrible read, but I'm not sure if it is something I recommend to others.  It is one of those in between books that I can't love but can't hate.  

My Rating: «««

The reviews made here are my personal opinion. I’m not being paid to review any of these books. I am by no means a professional book reviewer or editor.  I do this for the love of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment