Thursday 12 September 2013

The Silent Wife by A.S.A Harrison

Publisher: Penguin Books
Publish Date: June 25, 2013
Pages: 336
Format: Trade Paperback
ISBN: 978-0143133231

Jodi and Todd are at a bad place in their marriage.  Much is at stake, including the affluent life they lead in their beautiful waterfront condo in Chicago, as she, the killer, and he, the victim, rush haplessly toward the main event.  He is a committed cheater.  She lives and breathes denial.  He exists in dual worlds.  She likes to settle scores.  He decides to play for keeps.  She has nothing left to loose.  Told in alternating voices, The Silent Wife is about a marriage in the throes of dissolution, a couple headed for catastrophe, concessions that can’t be made, and a promise that won’t be kept.

My Thoughts
The description of the novel “A chilling psychological thriller” is a bit of an overstatement.  Had a very difficult time getting into this book, the story was a little all over the place.  One sentence is in the present then it carries on for paragraphs at a time in the past and what seemed to me to be irrelevant.  As a whole the entire book had very little dialogue.  The characters were hard to get into and were very much unlikeable; there is not one character you feel sympathetic for.

I found that the synopsis was misleading and found the actual story frustrating but yet fascinating at the same time.  I couldn’t put it down for the sole reason I was waiting for the “main event” to take shape, which doesn’t happen until three quarters of the way through the book and then the ending just drops off.

All in all, it’s an interesting concept but I just found the delivery of the story rather boring.

My Rating: «« (only because I finished it) 


The reviews made here are my personal opinion. I’m not being paid to review any of these books. I am by no means a professional book reviewer or editor.  I do this for the love of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment